Players can also configure a locally hosted server to be visible to the public on the in-game server browser. Even non-listed servers can also be found by players that know the server IP address and port.
Server administrators may configure various world attributes, such as the size of their world, rate of skill gain, and player starting conditions.
The Eco server can be run through Steam directly. Go to Library -> Tools -> Eco Server to download and launch the server. Note that the server is also included in the Steam client download, so players wishing to play single-player don't need to download the server separately.
Steam is not required to run an Eco server. The server can also be downloaded directly from the Strange Loop Games website
Since running an Eco server is demanding for computer hardware, and the server must always be running to be playable, many players choose to rent dedicated servers from hosting services.
Server Browser[edit | edit source]
An improved Server Browser was introduced in Eco Beta release 7.
Clicking "New Game" in the main menu will bring it up. The browser allows players to select between several types of worlds. These are:
- New Beginnings — Fresh worlds with new players and lower collaboration
- Cities Upon a Hill — Older worlds with established cities
- Brave Frontiers — Worlds with experienced players and higher collaboration
- Strange Worlds — Modded worlds
Players can also choose to host private worlds, though it is not recommended.
In addition to the criteria listed above, server owners can boost their match score in the server browser by taking the following actions:
- Having a server admin online
- Adding a server description
- Setting a Timetable for preferred play times
Guides[edit | edit source]
- Setting Up a Server for a basic guide to downloading, running, and updating the server.
- Setting Up a Server (advanced) for a more detailed guide on server configuration and troubleshooting.
- Updating a Server for instructions on how to manually update a server and migrate a saved world.
- Server Configuration for a guide to configuring and modding the server.
- Chat Commands for a list of admin-only commands that can be used in the game client.